Fire tenders were able to bring the flames under control after nearly three hours.
The deceased have been identified as Ria Thakur (25), a beauty parlour owner, and her cousin Manish (24). Those with burn injuries were admitted to a hospital.
DIG, Kanpur Range, Sonia Singh said, "Prima facie it seems that the fire was caused due to a short circuit."
According to Circle Officer (CO), Kalyanpur, Rajneesh Verma, the hostel owner Baijnath and one of his sons KK Singh live in their native village, while his elder son Dharmendra lived in the hostel and carried out a cable business.
Police said a complaint was lodged by local residents, and investigations are on.
In the hostel-cum-residence, 15 persons -- eight family members of Mr Singh, five students of a coaching institute, a beauty parlour owner and one of her cousins who had come to visit her -- were present when the fire broke out.
A car and huge stock of electric cables kept in the underground store room were destroyed in the blaze.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.