Saudi Arabia Hikes India's Haj Quota, 2 Lakh Can Now Perform Pilgrimage

The decision was announced by the Ministry of External Affairs after Prime Minister Narendra Modi held talks with visiting Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman in New Delhi.

 Share
EMAIL
PRINT
COMMENTS
Saudi Arabia Hikes India's Haj Quota, 2 Lakh Can Now Perform Pilgrimage

Mukhtar Naqvi said this happened because of PM Modi's "friendly" relations with the Saudi leadership


New Delhi: 

Saudi Arabia on Wednesday increased India's Haj quota by about 25,000, the third hike in three years, taking the number of pilgrims from the country who can perform the pilgrimage to 2 lakh.

The decision was announced by the Ministry of External Affairs after Prime Minister Narendra Modi held talks with visiting Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman in New Delhi.

While TS Tirumurti, Secretary (Economic Relations) in the MEA, said the implementation of the enhanced quota will depend on logistical and other things, Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said it will be effective from this year.

The Saudi Crown Prince announced the increase in quota for Indian Haj pilgrims to 2,00,000 at the request of Prime Minister Modi, MEA spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said.

Mr Naqvi hailed the decision and thanked the Prime Minister, Saudi Arabia's King Salman bin Abdul Aziz, the crown prince, and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj.

"This is the third hike in consecutive years. When the Modi government came to power in 2014, India's Haj quota was 1,36,000, which has now been increased to 2 lakh. This will be the highest number of pilgrims going for Haj from India since independence," Mr Naqvi told PTI.

He said this was possible because of PM Modi's "very cordial and friendly" relations with the Saudi leadership.

This year, 2,340 Muslim women from India will go for Haj without ''Mehram'' or male companion.

Also, India will be sending the second highest number of pilgrims for Haj after Indonesia, he said.

The government had last year allowed women to go on Haj without ''Mehram'', which saw about 1,300 women going without any male companion. They had been exempted from the lottery system.

Last year, Saudi Arabia had increased India's Haj quota by 5,000 to 1,75,025, while in 2017 it was increased by about 35,000.

The Haj subsidy provided by the government was removed last year in the light of a Supreme Court order of 2012.

Mr Naqvi had earlier said that digitising Haj-related processes has ensured that the annual pilgrimage remained inexpensive despite the absence of subsidy and made the system "pro-pilgrim".



Follow NDTV for latest election news and live coverage of assembly elections 2019 in Maharashtra and Haryana.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.

NDTV Beeps - your daily newsletter

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................