Prime Minister Narendra Modi today emphasised that the system of Minimum Support Price (MSP) will stay, as he strongly defended new farm laws that have provoked massive farmer protests near Delhi. PM Modi also accused the opposition of betraying and misleading farmers and supporting the protests to promote their own agenda.
Here are top five quotes:
- If anyone has any concerns, then with our heads bowed, our hands folded, with humility, we are willing to allay their fears.
- Talk about MSP ending after the new laws is the biggest lie ever. I want to assure every farmer across India that MSP is here to stay.
- (The opposition) is used to lying, using farmers for votes. After winning elections, they sit back and draw benefits from corruption.
- (Opposition parties) are just using you (farmers) to do politics to find relevance today, since they have lost their political ground.
- They fear that Modi will get the credit for reforms. Please take the credit, for me, the only thing that matters is growth and progress for farmers.