Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the 76th session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) today in New York, the first time since the coronavirus pandemic broke out in December 2019. "The strength of India's democracy lies in the fact that a young tea seller is addressing the UN for the 4th time," the Prime Minister said in his opening remarks.
India has developed the world's first DNA vaccine that can be given to everyone above 12 years of age, PM Modi said. "While understanding the responsibility towards humanity, India has yet again started giving vaccines to those who need it," the PM said.
The theme for this year's General Debate is 'Building Resilience through hope to recover from COVID-19, rebuild sustainably, respond to the needs of the planet, respect the rights of people, and revitalise the United Nations''. As per the second provisional list of speakers for the General Assembly, about 109 heads of state and government will address the General Debate in person and nearly 60 will deliver speeches through pre-recorded video statements.
PM Modi flew to New York on Saturday from Washington after holding his first bilateral meeting with US President Joe Biden in the Oval Office of the White House and attended his first in-person Quad summit on Friday.
PM Modi had last addressed the UN General Assembly session in 2019. Last year, world leaders had submitted pre-recorded video statements for the United Nations General Assembly session in September, as heads of state and government could not physically attend the annual gathering due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Here are the updates of PM Modi's US Visit:
Over the last few days, have had productive bilateral and multilateral engagements, interaction with CEOs and the UN address. I am confident the India-USA relationship will grow even stronger in the years to come. Our rich people-to-people linkages are among our strongest assets.- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 25, 2021
Items largely belong to 11th-14th CE & historic antiquities like copper anthropomorphic object of 2000BC or terracotta vase from 2ndCE. Some 45 antiquities belong to Before Common Era. Half of artifacts are cultural, other half are figurines relating to Hinduism, Buddhism&Jainism pic.twitter.com/jw6tEFxuLZ- ANI (@ANI) September 25, 2021
157 artefacts & antiquities were handed over by US during PM Modi's visit. PM conveyed his deep appreciation for repatriation of antiquities to India by US. PM Modi & Pres Biden committed to strengthen their efforts to combat theft, illicit trade & trafficking of cultural objects pic.twitter.com/WI8PUewF8A- ANI (@ANI) September 25, 2021
Welcomed PM Narendra Modi to the General Assembly Hall, ahead of his address to General Debate #UNGA76. India is fully committed to multilateralism & to the United Nations. I thanked him for the continued support to the Presidency of Hope: Abdulla Shahid, President of the UNGA76 pic.twitter.com/L1YOvsVlbQ- ANI (@ANI) September 25, 2021
#WATCH | PM Modi says at UNGA,"...Countries with regressive thinking that are using terrorism as a political tool need to understand that terrorism is an equally big threat for them. It has to be ensured that Afghanistan isn't used to spread terrorism or launch terror attacks..." pic.twitter.com/YCr85QGMby- ANI (@ANI) September 25, 2021
- In order to strengthen science-based approach, India promoting experience-based learning
- Strong start-up ecosystem has been developed
- Corona pandemic has taught the world that the global economy should be more diversified now
- We have started work on making India the world's largest green hydrogen hub
- Our oceans are also our shared heritage
- That is why we must keep in mind, we must use ocean resources and not abuse them
- Our oceans the lifelines of international trade
- We must protect them from the race of expansion and exclusion
- World facing danger of regressing thinking and extremism
- We need to be alert and ensure no country tries to take advantage of the delicate situation there and use it as a tool for their selfish interests
- On COWIN: offers digital support to administer million doses in a single day
- I'd like to inform the UNGA that India has developed the world's first DNA vaccine. Another vaccine is in the final stages of development
- Indian scientists working on developing a nasal vaccine for the coronavirus
- India has resumed process of providing vaccines to those who need it in the world
- I extend invitation to vaccine manufacturers around the world: Come To India
- Last 1.5 years, the world has been grappling with the worst pandemic in 100 years
- I pay tribute to all those who have lost their lives in the deadly pandemic, express condolences to their families
- I represent a country proud to be known as the mother of democracy, great tradition of democracy that goes back thousands of years
- Our diversity is the identity of our strong democracy
- The strength of our democracy is demonstrated by the fact that a little boy who used to help his father at a tea stall - is addressing the UNGA for the 4th time as PM of India
- Yes, democracy can deliver, democracy has delivered
- Mr President, today is the birth anniversary of Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyay
- Inspired by Pt Deendayal Upadhyaya's philosophy of 'antyodaya', India is moving ahead and ensuring integrated and equitable development for all
- Our priority is that development should be all inclusive and universal and one that nurtures all
- India has made homeless families - home owners
- Polluted water a big problem not just for India but the entire world, in particular for poor and developing countries
- In India, we are carrying out a campaign to ensure piped clean water reaches homes
- For development, people must have property rights, ownership records a must
- Drones being used to map over 6 hundred thousand villages
FS @harshvshringla met Minister @tariqahmadbt of the UK Foreign Office at New York in the margins of UNGA for a discussion on issues including situation in Afghanistan. Lord Ahmad conveyed that UK authorities were working to resolve quarantine issue for Indians entering the UK. pic.twitter.com/stJ5GUV6xg- Arindam Bagchi (@MEAIndia) September 25, 2021