Live: PM Narendra Modi with French President Emmanuel Macron in Paris's Elysee Palance.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi kick-started the final leg of his six-day, four-nation European trip with a visit to France. Both PM Modi and newly-elected French President Emmanuel Macron gave a joint statement in Paris. He also held bilateral talks with Mr Macron. The two world leaders discussed a wide range of issues including counter-terrorism, trade as well as the Paris climate agreement of 2015. He was earlier in Russia
, where he met Russian President Vladimir Putin and other dignitaries including UN Secretary-General Antonio Gueterres. Here are the live updates of PM Narendra Modi's visit to France:
After an intensive week of diplomacy -- four-nations in six days -- PM Modi departs for India.
PM Modi Says Humanity Has 2 Big Dangers In Front Of It - Climate And Terrorism
- Every child of France understands the threat of terrorism
- We discussed ways to protect ourselves, resist radicalisation, and use technology to combat terrorism
- I hope that the new energetic, visionary, young leadership of France gives new strength to the EU
- I am happy that Mr President has accepted my invitation to visit India. We are eager to host him
- We will fight together against the dangers in front of humanity
France And India's Cultural Relations Are An Asset: PM Modi in Paris
- We are going to honour 1.5 lakh Indian soldiers who sacrificed their life in the two world wars
- This is a huge gesture for the souls of those Indian bravehearts
- With France, India and personally me, especially over the Paris agreement the way we worked shoulder to shoulder
- I believe the Paris agreement is a collective asset of the world
- This is will also be an asset to the coming generation
- Not just environment, it is our responsibility to protect Mother Earth
- For Indians, protecting the environment is an article of faith
- For centuries we have learnt, since the age of the Vedas, that we have to learn to coexist with nature
- We have to live and prosper together with nature
- That's why are fully committed to the environment
- Whatever we have received today is because our ancestors passed it on to us
- It is also our responsibility to do the same for future generations
- That's why it is our pledge to be with the accord, and be even there is no accord
- The International Solar Alliance was formed here
- And I am very happy to see France is really keen to take it forward
India and France delivers joint statement at Elysee Palace in Paris
- Would like India to stand behind France against terrorism
- France stands by India against terrorism
- Would like more Indian students to come to France
- Would like to increase cooperation in culture, cinema
Bonjour France, Bonjour Paris, PM Narendra Modi Says
- Spoke to President Macron after his victory
- I am thankful for such a warm reception arranged in such a short time despite being such a new administration
- The entire world had its eye on the French election
- France and India's relations are deep, in every sector
- Not just the interest of our two countries but also we have to see how our ties can help humanity
- I believe this will happen even faster under President Macron
- More internships, education exchanges - talked about this
- We discussed cooperation in smart cities, space programs.The breadth of our ties is really wide
France is India's 9th largest investment partner. France is also a key partner in India's development initiatives in areas like defence, space, nuclear and renewable energy, urban development and railways.
Both leaders discussed issues of international and mutual interests including ways to enhance the strategic ties, countering terrorism and climate change.
Emmanuel Macron created history last month by becoming the youngest President of France. He defeated Le Pen by a huge margin.
PM Narendra Modi had also called up Macron to congratulate him on his poll victory and said he looked forward to work with him to further deepen the bilateral ties.
Prime Minister Modi and French President Macron will address a joint press conference shortly.
"I would be exchanging views with the French President on important global issues including UN Security Council reforms and India's permanent membership of the UN Security Council, India's membership of the various multilateral export control regimes, counter-terrorism cooperation, collaboration on climate change and International Solar Alliance," PM Modi had said ahead of the visit.