Today is Christmas Day. Christians across the world celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ today. Christmas or Xmas is however celebrated now both by Christians and non-Christians and that is largely due to the mythical and jolly figure of Santa Claus - much loved by the old and the young. Christmas or "mass on Jesus Christ's day" as the English call it is of fairly recent origin. Earlier it was called Yule, which came from the winter solstice celebrations and people used to exchange 'Yuletide Greetings'. How December 25 became the birthday of Jesus Christ is not quite clear and there are many theories about it. The religious text of the Christians - The New Testament - gives no clear indication. Sextus Julius Africanus, a historian, in 221 is said to have identified December 25 as the birthday of Christ and since then it was universally accepted as Christmas Day.
Merry Christmas wishes and greetings
Merry Christmas cards to share
Merry Christmas 2020: Motivational quotes to share
- "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens
- "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - CS Lewis
- "However tangled the lights are this year, I know you'll handle it with aplomb. Merry Christmas!" - Maya Angelou
- "I heard the bells on Christmas Day; their old familiar carols play; and wild and sweet the words repeat; of peace on earth, good-will to men" - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- "Christmas is doing a little something extra for someone" - Charles M. Schulz
- "Write it on your heart that every day is the best day in the year" - Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "It is never too late to be what you might have been" - George Eliot
- Ring out the old, ring in the new. Ring, happy bells, across the snow. The year is going, let him go. Ring out the false, ring in the true" - Alfred Lord Tennyson
The Romans celebrated the winter solstice as a symbol of the sun moving back to the Northern Hemisphere indicating happier times and arrival of the spring season. Christmas is largely a festive time, celebrated as a secular family holiday. The Christmas festivities extend into ringing in the New Year. Christmas carols are sung, Christmas greetings cards are sent, special Xmas food is made and gifts exchanged. Santa Claus plays a key role in Xmas gifts and goodies. Malls and markets across the world are decorated with his happy figure ahead of the Christmas shopping season.
Wish you a Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!