The Maharashtra government has filed an application before a larger bench of the Supreme Court, seeking vacation of the top court's stay on implementation of Maratha quota in jobs and education, an official statement said on Monday.
The government's move comes amidst protests by pro-quota organisations representing the community in parts of the state over the issue.
Maharashtra PWD Minister Ashok Chavan on Monday called on NCP president Sharad Pawar to discuss the state government's efforts to vacate the Supreme Court's stay on implementing the Maratha quota in jobs and education.
Mr Chavan, who heads the Maharashtra cabinet subcommittee on Maratha quota, met Pawar at the Y B Chavan Centre.
"We had earlier discussed with Chief Minister (Uddhav Thackeray) the legal issues in connection with vacating the Supreme Courts stay on implementing Maratha quota.
"I apprised Pawar saheb on the same today and understood his views," Mr Chavan told reporters after meeting the NCP chief, whose party is an ally of the Uddhav Thackeray-led state government.
The Supreme Court earlier this month stayed the implementation of 2018 Maharashtra law granting reservation to Marathas in education and jobs, but made it clear that the status of those who have availed of the benefits will not be disturbed.
A three-judge bench headed by Justice LN Rao had referred to a larger constitution bench, to be set up by Chief Justice of India SA Bobde, the batch of pleas challenging the validity of the law granting reservation to Marathas in education and jobs.
The top court had said the status of those who have already taken benefits of the 2018 law shall not be disturbed.
The Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (SEBC) Act, 2018 was enacted to grant reservation to people of Maratha community in Maharashtra in jobs and admissions.
The Bombay High Court, while upholding the law in June last year, held that 16 per cent reservation was not justifiable, and said quota should not exceed 12 per cent in employment and 13 per cent in admissions.