Fire Inside Operation Theatre Of Kolkata's Apollo Hospital, No Injuries

Primary investigation shows that a short circuit in the operation theatre light might have caused the fire, the fire official said.

2 Shares
EMAIL
PRINT
COMMENTS
Fire Inside Operation Theatre Of Kolkata's Apollo Hospital, No Injuries

Fire broke out on the second floor of Apollo Gleneagles Hospital around 9 a.m.

Kolkata:  A fire broke out inside the operation theatre of a leading city-based private hospital here on Monday, a fire department official said.

The fire broke out on the second floor of Apollo Gleneagles Hospital around 9 a.m. Primary investigation shows that a short circuit in the operation theatre light might have caused the fire, the fire official said.

The hospital authority said it was a minor fire and all patients and staff were safe.

"There was a minor fire in the OT cabin number nine in our hospital. However, our own security team were able to put out the blaze. We informed the fire brigade as a protocol. No patients or staff were hurt in the incident," hospital CEO Rana Dasgupta said.

However, West Bengal Fire Minister Sovan Chatterjee, who rushed to the spot after the incident, said an enquiry would be conducted to check if there was any negligence from the hospital's end.

"We cannot let the life of people be jeopardised like this. There will be an enquiry and appropriate legal action will be taken if any negligence is found," Mr Chatterjee said.

"It is possible that the system to lock the smoke in case of a fire is either unavailable or not working properly. One of our fire fighters was suffocated after inhaling the smoke while working today (Monday)," he added.

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................