The Election Commission today announced the schedule for assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir and Jharkhand.
While the term of the 87-member Jammu and Kashmir assembly ends on January 19, the term of 81-member Jharkhand assembly expires on January 3.
Here are the highlights:
- Electronic Voting Machines will be used for both the elections.
- In Jharkhand, the total number of seats are 81. 9 are reserved for Scheduled Caste candidates, 28 for Scheduled Tribe candidates. 99.06 per cent voters have voter identity cards. There are 24, 648 polling stations.
- In Jammu and Kashmir, There are 87 seats; 7 are reserved for Scehduled Castes. There are 10,015 polling stations.
- Candidates to fill all columns as per Supreme Court order, failure to do so (will make) that nomination liable to rejection.
- Both states are sensitive from law and order and security point of view.
- We have identified the security requirements after discussing the issue with authorities concerned.
- Static surveillance teams, flying squad, involvement of Excise and Income Tax department to check cash and liquor in elections.
- Model code of conduct comes into effect immediately.
- Phase 1 of elections for both states is November 25.
- Phase 2 of elections for both states in December 2.
- Phase 3 of elections for both states is December 9.
- Phase 4 of elections for both states is December 14
- Phase 5 of elections for both states is December 20.
- Counting for both states is on December 23.