At least ten people died and forty have been rescued after a three-storeyed building collapsed in Bhiwandi near Mumbai on early Monday morning, according to Thane Municipal Corporation.
The incident happened at around 3:40 am. The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), fire brigade and police teams have reached the spot.
The rescue operation is currently on.
"As any as 20 people were rescued by the locals, while 20-25 people are still feared trapped in the debris as per initial information," the NDRF said.
Here are the Highlights on Bhiwandi Building Collapse:
The loss of lives in the building collapse at Bhiwandi, Maharashtra is quite distressing. In this hour of grief, my thoughts and prayers are with the accident victims. I wish speedy recovery of the injured. Local authorities are coordinating rescue and relief efforts.- President of India (@rashtrapatibhvn) September 21, 2020
Saddened by the building collapse in Bhiwandi, Maharashtra. Condolences to the bereaved families. Praying for a quick recovery of those injured. Rescue operations are underway and all possible assistance is being provided to the affected.- Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) September 21, 2020
#WATCH Maharashtra: Rescue operation by NDRF (National Disaster Response Force) underway at the site of building collapse in Bhiwandi, Thane.- ANI (@ANI) September 21, 2020
Eight people have lost their lives in the incident which took place earlier today. pic.twitter.com/dFvXwhHPH3
#WATCH Maharashtra: A team of NDRF rescued a child from under the debris at the site of building collapse in Bhiwandi, Thane.- ANI (@ANI) September 21, 2020
At least five people have lost their lives in the incident which took place earlier today. pic.twitter.com/6j90p1GloQ
- At least eight people have died after a three-storeyed building collapsed in Bhiwandi near Mumbai early this morning.
- As per the initial information, five people have been rescued from the rubble of the building in Patel Compound area.
- The incident happened at around 3:40 am.
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), fire brigade and police teams are carrying out recue efforts.
- "The number of deaths have risen to eight in Bhiwandi building collapse incident. Five more people have been rescued," Thane Municipal Corporation spokesperson was quoted as saying by news agency ANI.
- At least 20 people are feared to be trapped, NDRF chief Satya Pradhan tweeted.