Ammonia Leak At Warehouse In UP's Fatehpur, Workers Evacuated

21 Shares
EMAIL
PRINT
COMMENTS
Ammonia Leak At Warehouse In UP's Fatehpur, Workers Evacuated

The ammonia leak took place at a cold storage in Uttar Pradesh's Fatehpur.

Fatehpur:  A suspected ammonia gas leak at a cold storage unit in Uttar Pradesh's Fatehpur district on Sunday night triggered panic. Forty-two workers were evacuated from the facility, a senior police officer told news agency ANI.

Nearby residents of the Jahanabad area were also evacuated and movement of vehicles restricted.

According to Fatehpur District Magistrate Selva Kumari, the leakage of ammonia was reported at around 10 PM from the cold storage which is located almost 30 kilometres from the district headquarters.

"There are no villages around the cold storage. No casualties have been reported so far. The workers there had left the place when the leakage took place. We are waiting for the gas to dissipate," Selva Kumari told news agency Press trust of India.

Medical teams have been sent to the spot and instructions have been issued for wearing mask till the smell of the gas gets diluted, she said.

Circle Officer Bindki Ravindra Verma also confirmed that no loss of life has been reported.

Comments
Breathing in high concentrations of ammonia causes immediate burning of the nose, throat and respiratory tract. In smaller amounts ammonia exposure causes coughing, and nose and throat irritation.

(with inputs from agencies)

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................