- This morning, a meeting of hundreds of party lawmakers saw Akhilesh and Shivpal airing their vast differences with angry speeches. Akhilesh, 43, broke down more than once. At one point, Shivpal snatched the mic from him and called him "a liar".
- Mulayam Singh Yadav, older brother of Shivpal and father of Akhilesh, tried to engender a rapprochement. He urged Akhilesh to hug it out with his uncle (the Chief Minister opted to touch Shivpal's feet instead in a gesture of respect), and said Akhilesh will not be replaced as Chief Minister.
- But, he asserted, he will not accept any denigration or sidelining of either close aide Amar Singh or Shivpal, who was removed as cabinet minister yesterday by Akhilesh for the second time in a month.
- Shivpal has reportedly made it clear that there can be no truce without Akhilesh Yadav stepping down from the Chief Minister's post. He and his supporters want Mulayam Singh to take over as Chief Minister, sources said.
- Though Akhilesh has reportedly conveyed that he will not quit office, he does not want to push for a split. But he wants Amar Singh sidelined and the expulsion of Ram Gopal Yadav reversed.
- Ram Gopal, a cousin of Mulayam, is the closest confidante of the Chief Minister. He was sacked yesterday in retaliation by Team Mulayam after Shivpal was removed from the cabinet by Akhilesh.
- At this morning's party gathering, Mulayam warned Akhilesh "not to entertain the illusion that one person can win an election." He described Shivpal as the sort of political veteran who is crucial to election strategy.
- Of Amar Singh, who was expelled in 2010 and returned to the Samjawadi Party five months ago, Mulayam said "all sins are forgiven."
- Amar Singh's close association with Shivpal, who allegedly wants to be Chief Minister soon, has angered Akhilesh's supporters. "You are not worthy of even the dust on Amar Singh's feet," was Mulayam's assessment of them at today's conclave.
- Akhilesh and Shivpal are also fighting a turf war on selection of candidates for the UP election. Uncle Shivpal replaced Akhilesh as the head of the party in Uttar Pradesh last month, which makes him the main decision-maker for the election.
Follow NDTV for latest election news and live coverage of assembly elections 2019 in Maharashtra and Haryana.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.