New Delhi: The CBI today questioned former Telecom Minister A Raja for the third time in connection with the funding and allegedly showing favours to some telecom companies in granting 2G spectrum between October 2007 and 2008.
Raja, who was questioned earlier on December 24 and 25 last year, was called to CBI office this morning and quizzed for nearly nine hours, official sources said. (Read: Raja questioned for the third time by CBI)
Raja's questioning comes after a crucial report on the 2G scam submitted today named the former telecom minister, who has been accused of several procedural wrongdoings. The report also names Raja's aides such as R K Chandolia and Sidharth Behuria.
While submitting his report to Telecom Minister Kapil Sibal, Justice Shivraj Patil said that he had fixed responsibility on certain officials and named them. "One of the terms of reference is if there is any shortcomings, lapse or deficiency in procedure, applying or following, who are the public officials they must be identified which I have done." Justice Patil told NDTV.
Mr Sibal described the report as "fearless."
"Some officials have been named and some procedures have been commented upon... What the future course of action should be for the grant of spectrum has been commented upon," Sibal said after receiving the report.
The 1500 page report which also suggests measures for the telecom ministry to follow in the future has not been made public.
In November, DMK leader A Raja was forced to resign as Telecom Minister after a report by the government's auditor declared that he had undersold frequency to benefit companies who were ineligible for mobile licenses. The resultant losses, according to the report of the Comptroller and Auditor General (CAG) could add up to Rs. 1.76 lakh crore.
While Justice Patil did not go into the criminal culpability of the case, he did look into telecom policies dating back to 2001. So the report is also expected to state whether there were instances of any wrongdoing in the NDA years.