- Green leafy vegetables are packed with fiber and are low in carbs
- Bitter gourd contains substances that lend anti-diabetic properties
- Keep a handful of pumpkin seeds with you to fight sweet cravings
List of Foods for Diabetics1. Leafy greens: Green leafy vegetables such as kale, mustard leaves, turnip leaves and methi are low in calories and carbohydrates and therefore, they do not cause sudden spikes to your blood sugar levels. They are also packed with fiber and Vitamin C, which acts a powerful antioxidant.
2. Bitter gourd: Bitter gourd contains active substances that lend anti-diabetic properties like charantin which is known for its blood glucose-lowering effect and an insulin-like compound known as polypeptide-p. The best way to consume it is to have fresh bitter gourd juice early morning on an empty stomach.
3. Whole grains: Whole grains like barley and oats are full of fibre which digests slowly to keep you blood sugar from spiking suddenly. Consuming whole grains regularly helps in preventing weight gain which is a big risk factor for diabetes.
4. Flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds: Flaxseed contains large amounts of an insoluble fibre called lignan. Flaxseeds help in reducing the chances of heart complications and also the risk of strokes linked with diabetes. Keep a handful of pumpkin seeds with you to fight cravings for fatty and sugary foods.
6. Beetroot: Beetroots are a rich source of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and phytonutrients – all of which help in managing diabetes. When consumed the natural sugars in beetroot don’t get converted into glucose in the body too quickly which makes them good for diabetics.
Your diet forms an important aspect of diabetes management. Make sure you eat regular, healthy and well-balanced meals.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.