- Your diet plays an important role in maintaining healthy kidneys
- Water helps in detoxifying the body and flushes out toxins
- The minerals present in green vegetables reduce the oxalate levels
1. Drink lots of water: Water helps in detoxifying the body and flushes out toxins. It is also one of the simplest ways to keep the kidneys clean. It dilutes the minerals that can cause harm and helps in their excretion. Drinking lime water helps in the filtration of blood, it really helps with kidney stones.
2. Reduce intake of salt, sugar and soy: The sodium in salt increases the calcium content in the body. Excess calcium in the body may lead to the formation of stones. Similarly, too much sugar absorbs more calcium and magnesium which also contributes to kidney stones. Soy and soy-related products may have a high content of oxalate that can be harmful for the kidneys.
3. Eat more green vegetables and avoid meat: The minerals and antioxidants present in green vegetables reduce the oxalate levels in the body that can have a damaging effect on your kidney. Avoid consuming too much meat as it may contain harmful uric acid that can affect the functioning of the kidneys.
5. Keep an eye on your phosphorus intake: Health experts and doctors have issued a warning against excess phosphorous in the human body claiming that it may increase the risk of chronic kidney disease. Foods that should be strictly avoided, or at least consumed in moderation include soft drinks, chocolates, tinned milk and processed meat.
These simple diet tips and tweak can go a long way in strengthening your kidneys and thus, helping in relieving some of the symptoms of kidney disease.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.