The Golden Globes, considered the more fun version of the Oscars, are upon us. The list of nominees is a mix of veterans and first-timers - and yes, it includes Meryl Streep. Here are 10 things to know about this year's acting nominees.
1. Of the 29 people nominated in acting categories for film, eight are first time nominees - David Oyelowo, Eddie Redmayne, Felicity Jones, Rosamund Pike, Quvenzhane Wallis, Ethan Hawke, Mark Ruffalo and J K Simmons. 12 of the remaining 21 are previous winners - Meryl Streep, Christoph Waltz, Amy Adams, Julianne Moore, Reese Witherspoon, Jessica Chastain, Bill Murray, Joaquin Phoenix, Emily Blunt, Helen Mirren, Robert Duvall and Edward Norton.
2. Of the 40 people nominated in acting categories for TV, 12 are first time nominees - Liev Schreiber, Jeffrey Tambor, Gina Rodriguez, Martin Freeman, Mark Ruffalo, Allison Tolman, Matt Bomer, Alan Cumming, Colin Hanks, Uzo Aduba, Joanne Froggatt and Michelle Monaghan. Of the remaining 28, 12 are previous winners - Claire Danes, Julianna Margulies, Robin Wright, Don Cheadle, Ricky Gervais, Lena Dunham, Edie Falco, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Jessica Lange, Bill Murray,Join Voight and Kathy Bates.
3. This is Meryl Streep's 29th GG nomination. She is the most nominated person - and has been for some years - having outstripped composer John Williams' 25 nominations in 2012, when she won for The Iron Lady.
4. Meryl Streep also holds the record for the most number of acting wins with eight in total. The only person who has more Golden Globes than Ms Streep is Barbra Streisand whose nine Globes include awards for producing, directing, Best Original Song and honorary Globes.
5. Best Actress - Comedy/Musical nominee Helen Mirren is one of only four actors to have won two Golden Globes in the same year - in 2007, she won Best Actress - Drama for The Queen and Best Actress in a Miniseries or TV Film for Elizabeth I. The other three actors are also female - Sigourney Weaver, Kate Winslet and Joan Plowright.
7. Four nominees will have a 100% strike rate if they win this year as well - Christoph Waltz who was nominated and won twice for Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained; Edward Norton who was nominated and won for Primal Fear; Claire Danes who was nominated and won four times for My So-Called Life, Temple Grandin and Homeland (twice); and Matthew McConaughey who, if he wins, will also have a Golden Globe to take home two years in a row, having won last year for Dallas Buyers Club.
8. This is the sixth year in a row that Julianna Margulies is being nominated for The Good Wife. She has been nominated every year from 2010 for Best TV Actress - Drama, winning in 2010.
10. It's a good year for the family Gyllenhaal. Actor siblings Jake and Maggie have both scored nominations - Jake is up for Best Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama for Nightcrawler, Maggie is nominated for Best Actress in a Miniseries or TV Film for The Honourable Woman.