Something wicked this way comes. They're mean, evil and intimidating. They would send Macbeth's witches running for cover. Their cruel sneers, baritone voices and chilling gaze bring life to a movie. Villains are the backbone of every Bollywood film. No masala movie is complete without good defeating evil and a hero gets to be a hero only because the villain lets him be one. Could you imagine Sholay without Gabbar and Mr India without Mogambo?
So this is a salute to the wicked and the damned. We never want to meet them in a dark alley but we sure as hellfire can't do without them on celluloid (as we watch, thrilled and cowering, from the safety of a theatre seat). These are our favourite lines ever to be spoken by the tribe of Gabbar.
1. Jo dar gaya samjho mar gaya - Amjad Khan as Gabbar Singh, Sholay
Followed by other remarkable dialogues like "Yeh haath humko dede, Thakur" and "Arre oh Samba, kitne aadmi the?"Gabbar Singh checks all boxes on the list of screen infamy. James Bond had it easy with Blofeld.
2. Aankhen nikaal kar gotiyan khelunga - Shakti Kapoor as Crime Master Gogo, Andaz Apna Apna
This guy made evil hilarious. His sleek ponytailed hair, curly moustache and ghaghra-esque cape made him an iconic baddie. We agree with Amar when he says "Main to kehta hoon aap purush hi nai... Mahapurush hain, mahapurush!"
Courtesy: Ultra Hindi
3. Mogambo khush hua - Amrish Puri as Mogambo, Mr India
If all the kids of '80s and '90s had a rupee for every time they said these words, India's economy wouldn't need reviving.
Courtesy: XvJohn80sFan91Vx's channel
4. Sara sheher mujhe Loin ke naam se janta hai - Ajit as Din Dayal/Lion, Kalicharan
Ummm, it's "lion" sir. You're welcome.
5. K-K-K-K-K-K-K-Kirannn... - Shah Rukh Khan as Rahul, Darr
When obsessive compulsive hid behind a handsome face. Every girl wanted to be this deadly Rahul's K-K-K-K-Kiran (but not really).
6. Iss thapad ki goonj abhi tak merey kaanon mein hai - Anupam Kher as Dr Dang, Karma
Hain, Dr Dang?
7. Prem naam hai mera, Prem Chopra - Prem Chopra, Bobby
And I am nothing like Bond, James Bond.
8. Shakaal ke haath mein jitne patte hote hai, utne hi patte uski aasteen mein bhi hote hai - Kulbhushan Kharbanda as Shakaal, Shaan
Aur un patton main se ek hai meri pet Shark - jisse main use karta hoon 'shaan se'.
9. Bad Man - Gulshan Grover
A dialogue so famous, that the phrase became synonymous with the actor.
10. Nayak nahi khalnayak hoon main - Sanjay Dutt as Ballu, Khalnayak
And just like that, Sanjay Dutt proclaimed he was an antihero not to be messed with.