- Fire in Chennai textiles shop began early last morning
- Narrow roads making it tough to bring in equipment
- 150 fire fighters at spot, 5 of 7 floors of shop on fire collapse
The top five floors of the building that houses Chennai Silks caved in this morning because of the intense heat. Thick smoke was soaring into the sky. The fire began at 4 am yesterday in the seven-storey building, reportedly as the result of a short circuit.
Declaring the area unsafe, the police have cordoned off the busy T Nagar which has forced the shutdown of other shops and offices in the area for two days. Zero visibility was reported in the area.
Officials said the showroom stocked plastic items and clothes. The building had false ceilings which caught fire quickly.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.