- Many parts of Mumbai and its suburbs turned into huge tracts of muddy water. Small vehicles were submerged, and several tempos, trucks and heavy vehicles stranded on the roads adding to traffic chaos.
- The main runway of the Mumbai airport is closed since Monday night since a Spicejet flight skid off the runway. As a result, 55 flights have been diverted to Ahmedabad, Bengaluru and Goa. The secondary runway is functional.
- Central Railway stopped its services since early Tuesday as tracks were underwater in many places. The Central Railway resumed full services around 5.15 pm, though the Western Railway managed to trudge along with delays and cancellations.
- A public holiday was declared in Mumbai and two neighbouring districts - Mumbai Suburban and Thane, on Tuesday. While schools and colleges remained closed, many private companies asked their employees to work from their home.
- The Maharashtra government advised people to avoid stepping out of their homes. "Due to heavy rain forecast in Mumbai even today by IMD, People are advised to stay indoors unless there is any emergency," Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis's office tweeted.
- The city is set for more downpours in the next 24 to 48 hours. While the weather office has sounded a red alert in Mumbai for today, an orange category warning - of less intense rain - has been given from Wednesday to Friday.
- Almost every monsoon, Mumbai struggles to cope with the chaos caused by the rain. The suburban trains - the city's lifeline - are affected and low-lying areas get flooded.
- Activists say Mumbai's susceptibility to floods has worsened in recent years due to a construction boom that is trying to keep up with the city's swelling population.
- Much of Mumbai's mangrove cover, which is extremely effective in helping to drain water, has been destroyed over the past decade to make way for high-rises.
- According to various studies, anywhere between 40 to 50 percent of the city's population live in slums, which become a sea of blue tarpaulin every monsoon as residents try to keep out the rain.
With inputs from agencies
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.