Mumbai: Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis is emerging as the clear winner of the day as the BJP is narrowing Shiv Shena's lead in the Brihanmumbai Municial Corporation or BMC elections setting it up for a nail-biting finish. The BJP is now ahead in 81 of the 227 seats, marginally behind the Shiv Sena's 84 (till 5 pm), which has ruled the cash rich corporation for years. The Congress is at a distant third leading in 31 seats. The BJP workers have gathered at the party office where the star campaigner of the BMC elections is speaking amid jubilation in anticipation of the big win.
Here are the highlights of Mr Fadnavis's speech.
- I thank the people of Maharashtra. This is an unprecedented victory
- We got 81 seats, there is a tie in 1 seat.
- People have expressed confidence in PM Modi's foresight, leadership.
- No party has had such a win in 25 years. Our agenda has received wide support.
- If we had our symbol on the seats of our allies, then the result could have been different on at least 20 seats.