1 Dead, 11 Hospitalised After Eating Prasad In Karnataka Temple

Two people have been arrested in connection with the incident which happened on Friday. Kavitha, 28, a homemaker died after vomiting and dehydration. Her children have also been hospitalised.

 Share
EMAIL
PRINT
COMMENTS
1 Dead, 11 Hospitalised After Eating Prasad In Karnataka Temple

Two unidentified women came to the Gangamma Devi temple and distributed halwa.


BENGALURU: 

Highlights

  1. The incident happened on Friday and two people have been arrested
  2. 2 unidentified women came to Gangamma Devi temple and distributed halwa
  3. Government will ensure it doesn't happen again: HD Kumaraswamy

A woman in Karnataka's Chikkaballapura district died while eleven others were hospitalised soon after eating religious food offering or prasad on Friday, police said. So far, two people have been arrested in connection with the incident, Karthik Reddy, Chikkaballapura Superintendent of Police, said.

Kavitha, a 28-year-old homemaker, died of dehydration after incessant vomiting. Her children too have been hospitalised.

Two unidentified women came to the Gangamma Devi temple at night in Chintamani taluk, 70 km from Bengaluru, amid celebrations and distributed halwa to the devotees, according to news agency PTI.

0inppsf8

Kavitha, 28, a homemaker died after vomiting and dehydration.

The devotees started complaining of stomach pain and were rushed to a private hospital in town.

Police said that the temple was not involved in the preparation of the prasad and are on the lookout for the women who distributed it.

Chief Minister HD Kumaraswamy in a statement said his government is preparing a blueprint so that such recurring incidents don't happen in future. 

Last December in Karnataka, 17 people died and over 100 were hospitalised after consuming a rice-based offering that was poisoned at a temple in Chamarajanagar district. The police said 15 bottles of pesticides were added to the prasad while it was being prepared.

A local seer and three others were arrested in a case of 'prasad' poisoning.

NDTV Beeps - your daily newsletter

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................

................................ Advertisement ................................