A mass drive to contain the spread of Zika infection has begun in Jaipur.
Jaipur: Twenty nine people have tested positive for Zika virus in Rajasthan's Jaipur where a central team is monitoring the situation. Prime Minister Narendra Modi's Office has sought a detailed report from the union health ministry. There is no need to panic and everything is under control, the ministry said. Bihar has also issued advisories to all its 38 districts as one of those affected in Jaipur, a student, visited his home in Bihar's Siwan in August. The student visited Bihar between August 28 and September 12 for an exam. His family members have been put under surveillance.
Here are the top 10 updates on Zika virus infection:
- "The PMO (Prime Minister's Office) has sought a comprehensive report on the Zika virus outbreak in Jaipur," a senior Health Ministry official said.
- Authorities in Jaipur are closely monitoring the condition of pregnant women; the zika virus disease can cause severe birth defects in unborn children.Sources in Rajasthan's health department said the people who have tested positive have been kept in an isolation ward at Jaipur's SMS Hospital.
- Seven people infected with the virus live in the same neighbourhood. The first case in the city was confirmed on September 24.
- "Our surveillance is very robust. All such cases get detected. We've standard protocols. Indian Council of Medical Research, National Centre for Disease Control and Directorate General of Health Services are monitoring this. I assure people that everything is under control. There's no need to panic," Union Health Minister JP Nadda said.
- A seven-member high-level central team is already in Jaipur to assist the state government in containing the spread. A control room has been set up at the National Centre for Disease Control to undertake regular monitoring of the situation.
- Medical teams have been deployed in Jaipur's Shastri Nagar area from where several cases were detected. 179 medical teams are working in six wards in the neighbourhood to watch out for any symptoms with extra attention on pregnant women.
- A mass drive to contain the spread of the infection has begun in Jaipur. Veenu Gupta, Rajasthan Additional Chief Secretary (Health), said that all cases of fever have been listed. The officer said 26,000 houses in Jaipur have been surveyed by 150 to 22 teams. Officials have treated over 2,000 containers with a chemical called temephos.
- Zika virus disease is an emerging disease currently being reported by 86 countries worldwide.
- Symptoms of Zika virus infection are similar to other viral infections such as dengue, and include fever, skin rashes, conjunctivitis, muscle and joint pain, malaise, and headache.
- In India, the first outbreak was reported in Ahmedabad in January and February 2017 and second outbreak in July, 2017 from Krishnagiri District in Tamil Nadu. Both these outbreaks were successfully contained through intensive surveillance and vector management, the ministry said.
(With inputs from PTI)
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections. Election results will be out on May 23.