New Delhi: National Security Adviser Ajit Doval has denied that he told Dainik Bhaskar, a newspaper, that talks between the Foreign Secretaries of India and Pakistan expected this week are cancelled. The newspaper had released an audio clip of the interview on its website.
India has said that Pakistan must take prompt action against those responsible for the deadly attack at the Pathankot air force base, where seven military personnel were martyred and another 20 injured. India says the Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed orchestrated the assault.
Pakistan had announced that the talks would be held on January 15 in Islamabad; India had not confirmed the dates, but has officially not called off the talks yet. Sources say the dialogue is unlikely to go ahead unless Pakistan delivers on a commitment made over the phone by premier Nawaz Sharif to Prime Minister Narendra Modi offering cooperation for the investigation.
Last week, the Foreign Ministry had said that Pakistan must deliver "prompt and decisive action" on the evidence provided by India of the terror attack on January 2 at the air force base in Pathankot.
The attack came just a week after PM Modi made an unscheduled visit to Lahore and met Nawaz Sharif.
On Friday, Mr Sharif met with top officials including Sartaj Aziz, allegedly to review the evidence furnished by India, which includes intercepts of phone calls made by the terrorists to their handlers in Pakistan. Ammunition and other equipment recovered from them after they were killed were made in Pakistan.