Sheila Dikshit had served for 3 consecutive terms as Delhi Chief Minister between 1998 and 2013.
Three-time Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has been cremated with state honours today. Hundreds were present to pay respects to the veteran leader.
Political leaders and well-wishers, including leaders from the Congress's rival BJP, came to three-time Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit's home in south Delhi this morning to pay their respects after the veteran Congress leader died of a cardiac arrest on Saturday. She was 81.
Her body has been kept at the Congress headquarters in central Delhi, from where the funeral procession will move to Nigam Bodh Ghat, on the banks of the Yamuna, around 2:30 pm.
BJP's Sushma Swaraj and LK Advani, National Conference's Omar Abdullah were among the leaders who came to the Nizamuddin home of the former Delhi Chief Minister.
The Delhi government has declared a two-day state mourning for Sheila Dikshit's death, deputy chief minister Manish Sisodia tweeted.
Sheila Dikshit, 81, was admitted to Fortis Escorts hospital in a critical condition on Saturday morning. "A multi-disciplinary team of doctors, led by Dr Ashok Seth, Chairman, Fortis Escorts Heart Institute, carried out the advanced resuscitative measures. Her condition stabilised temporarily," Fortis said in a statement. She died at 3.55 pm, after her second cardiac arrest, the statement said.
She is the longest serving chief minister of the state, having served for three consecutive terms between 1998 and 2013. She was succeeded by Aam Aadmi Party's Arvind Kejriwal.
Sheila Dikshit, after her stint as Delhi chief minister, was sworn in as Kerala Governor in 2014, but resigned in just six months.
Here are the updates:
Sheila Dikshit's body brought to the Nigam Bodh Ghat Sheila Dikshit's funeral procession will move to Nigam Bodh Ghat, on the banks of the Yamuna She was a great support for me, says Sonia Gandhi
- After paying her last respect to Shiela Diksit, UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi told media persons, "She was a great support for me. She became almost an elder sister and a friend. This is a big loss for Congress party. I will always remember her."
- Former prime minister Manmohan Singh also paid tributes to Sheila Dikshit at Congress headquarters in Delhi
- Congress leaders Ajay Maken, Arvinder Singh Lovely, Kapil Sibal, Motilal Vora, Rajya Sabha lawmaker Mohsina Kidwai, Abhishek Singhvi and KC Venugopal paid tributes to Sheila Dikshit.
- "Sheilaji was a tough politician and a great person. I knew her for 25-30 years and had good relations with her family. The news of her death is very saddening, nobody can forget her contribution to Delhi. It is because of her popularity that people from all parties are coming to pay tributes to her," Motilal Vora told ANI.
Mortal remains of Sheila Dikshit at Congress headquarters
- Mortal remains of Sheila Dikshit placed at Congress headquarter in Delhi for people to pay their last respects.
- UPA chairperson Sonia Gandhi and Congress party general secretary Priyanka Gandhi pay their last respects to former Delhi Chief Minister Sonia Gandhi.
- Mortal remains of former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit being taken to Congress headquarters in the national capital.
Sheila Dikshit's mortal remains to be shifted to Congress headquarters
- Mortal remains of former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit will be taken to Congress headquarters in the national capital around 12.30 pm.
BJP veteran LK Advani pays tributes
- BJP veteran LK Advani paid his tributes to Shiela Dikshit at her Nizamuddin residence this morning.
CPI leader D Raja pays tributes
- CPI leader D Raja also paid his tributes to former Delhi Chief Minister.
Naveen Jindal pays tributes to Congress leader Sheila Dikshit
- Another Congress leader Naveen Jindal also paid tribute to Sheila Dikshit at her residence.
Deepender Singh Hooda pays tributes to Sheila Dikshit
- Congress leader Deepender Singh Hooda paid his last respect to Shiela Dikshit.
Sushma Swaraj pays tributes to Shiela Dikshit
- BJP veteran and former external affairs minister Sushma Swaraj paid respects to former Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit at her residence.
- Sushma Swaraj had tweeted on Saturday, "I am sorry to know about the sudden demise of Sheila Dixitji. We were opponents in politics but friends in personal life. She was a fine human being."
Omar Abdullah pays last respect to former Delhi chief minister
- National Conference leader Omar Abdullah paid his last respect to Shiela Dikshit at her residence.
- Omar Abdullah said, "She was a renowned personality. What she did for Delhi is unforgettable. I also got an opportunity to work with her. I will pray that God gives strength to her family to deal with this loss."
- Congress leader Salman Khurshid told ANI that in the history of Delhi, Sheila Dikshit's name will be written in golden letters.
- Several leaders and people paid their respects to Sheila Dikshit at her residence in Delhi.