A five-judge Constitution bench pronounced the decision on the controversial practice of triple talaq.
New Delhi: The Supreme Court has banned the controversial Islamic practice that allows men to divorce their wives instantly by saying "talaq" three times, saying it is unconstitutional. Prime Minister Narendra Modi's government had backed the petitioners in this landmark case. Victims of the practice known as "triple talaq" had approached the Supreme Court to ask for a ban. The majority opinion held that triple talaq is not in keeping with the tenets of Islam.
Here are 5 quotes from the verdict:
- Triple talaq"is not integral to religious practice and violates constitutional morality".
- It is "manifestly arbitrary" to allow a man to "break down (a) marriage whimsically and capriciously".
- "What is sinful under religion cannot be valid under law"
- The court said the practice is "unconstitutional", "arbitrary" and "not part of Islam".
- "Finally I feel free today. I have the order that will liberate many Muslim women," Shayara Bano, one of the women who brought the case, said after the ruling.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.