Mumbai: The Congress today disowned its leader Sanjay Nirupam's suggestion that last week's surgical strikes across the Line of Control are "fake" unless the government offers proof.
- Sanjay Nirupam of Congress tweets action against Pak seems "fake"
- Pakistan denied last week's surgical strikes across Line of Control
- BJP slams leaders asking for proof, says they're helping Pak
At the same time, the party said the government must "call Pakistan's bluff".
"It's time for the government to expose Pakistan's malicious propaganda. The evidence should be made public," said party spokesperson Randeep Surjewala.
Asserting that there is "no question of any doubt" about the strikes, Mr Surjewala said: "We would like to urge the PM to stop politicising the bravery of Indian soldiers for myopic political gain."
Earlier today, Mr Nirupam had made controversial statements raising doubts about the strikes.
"Every Indian wants #SurgicalStrikesAgainstPak but not a fake one to extract just political benefit by #BJP," he tweeted.
Attacked for the comment, he later clarified, "I'm not saying you release all video footage, I don't think so either... as it may not be in the interest of national security... but there is a need to show some proof."
The Congress spokesperson said: "We have taken serious note of Sanjay Nirupam's statements."
Pakistan has asserted that India has flagrantly misrepresented cross-border firing as raids across the Line of Control (LoC) in Jammu and Kashmir. The ruling BJP says that politicians like Mr Nirupam are bolstering that claim by seeking evidence.
Seven terror launch pads or staging areas were targeted late Wednesday night, the army has said. Sources refused to comment on how many terrorists were killed in Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir in the strikes, but expressed their satisfaction with the impact and said that photographs and video of the operation were ensured, partly through drones.
Mr Nirupam's challenging of the government and army's account of what transpired comes as the BJP derided Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal and senior Congress leader P Chidambaram for seeking proof of the cross-LoC strikes.
Mr Chidambaram on Monday said it is up to the government to furnish evidence. Mr Kejriwal has said that while he lauds PM Modi's firm handling of Pakistan, foreign media reports including in The New York Times and Washington Post are furthering Pakistan's false propaganda. Though he stopped short of asking for the video of the strikes to be shared, Mr Kejriwal said the PM must act to counter the reports, which were filed by journalists who were taken to villages on Pakistan's side of the Line of Control by the Pakistani army. Villagers there joined army generals in declaring that India had not crossed the de facto border last week.