New Delhi: Senior IPS officer Ranjit Sinha took over as the new CBI Director on Monday. Addressing the media after assuming charge, Mr Sinha made the following statement:
1. It is with a deep sense of responsibility that I take charge of the prestigious office of Director of the Central Bureau of Investigation. I feel very honoured, and at the same time, am also humbled at the extremely important task bestowed on me.
2. The CBI is the nation's premier agency for investigating corruption and crime. Institutionalized within the walls of this imposing building, is a strong work ethic of discipline, integrity and professional competence. The citizens of India, constitutional courts and state & central governments have reposed their faith in the CBI time and again, and, I assure you that this bond of trust and faith will be strengthened under my supervision.
3. Friends, I am well aware of the rigours, processes and procedures being followed in this organization, having served as DIG and Joint Director in the Bureau. Now, as head of the Bureau, I also bring with me, experience from serving the nation in my cadre, as well as heading central police organizations.
4. I am well aware of the challenges before the CBI, which include: shortage of manpower, need to provide modern technology & facilities; upgradation of forensic laboratories; and, need to reduce delays in execution of Letters Rogatory. After receiving a detailed briefing from my team of officers, I will get down to the business of attempting to address these concerns.
5. Friends, as I take charge of the post of Director CBI, I want to assure you that the motto of the organization - Industry, Integrity, Impartiality, will be upheld in full earnestness. The officers and staff of the Bureau will conduct investigations entrusted to them, in a fair and free manner - without any kind of fear or favour.
6. The renowned scientist Isaac Newton has famously said - "I could see farther only because I stood on the shoulders of giants". On this occasion I wish to acknowledge the sterling leadership shown by my predecessors. It will be my endeavour to build on that, and to ensure that the best traditions and practices of the CBI are preserved and the Bureau reaches greater heights.