A 25-year-old prisoner serving a jail term in Nashik Road Central Prison, died of electric shock, which also left another inmate injured.
The incident took place on Tuesday afternoon when both of them were working in the jail's kitchen.
The prisoner was identified as Sharad Pardeshi, who was from Chalisgaon in Jalgaon district in north Maharashtra.
He was serving a 10-year jail term after being convicted in a rape case, superintendent of the jail Rajkumar Sali, said.
"The incident occurred around 2 pm when Pardeshi and Jadhav were using a crane to lift a big container of cooked rice in the kitchen that has a tin roof. Electric current passed through the tin roof and the chain of the crane, which claimed Sharad Pardeshi's life and injured Rishi Jadhav," Mr Sali said.