President Ram Nath Kovind addressed the nation today on the eve of 72nd Independence Day. This was President Kovind's second Independence Day address to the country.
In his independence day address, President Kovind invoked the father of the nation, Mahatama Gandhi, and the freedom fighters, who fought hard to achieve independence for the country. He talked of farmers' issues, issues of the youth and also stressed on the need of empowering women in the society.
The speech was broadcast live on the entire national network of the All India Radio (AIR) and Doordarshan channels in Hindi followed by the English version.
Here are the top quotes from President Ram Nath Kovind's Independence Day Speech
- "August 15 holds great significance for all the Indians. Our tricoulour symbolises the integrity of our country. On this day, we celebrate the sovereignty of the country and pay our gratitude to the contribution of our ancestors."
- "Women have a special role in our society. When women are empowered, the society is empowered, its a testimony to the country's nations. They need to live in their own way, and have a safe environment and opportunity to make full use of their potential."
- "Our police and paramilitary forces face a variety of challenges. They combat terrorism and protect the society. When we provide better weapons for soldiers, develop supply-chains for defence equipment, and offer welfare facilities to the troops, we fulfill the dreams of our freedom fighters."
- ""We are fortunate that we have inherited the legacy of such remarkable patriots. They left us with a free India, but they also left us with unfinished tasks for the development of our society, for the empowerment of the proverbial last person."
- "Let contentious issues and extraneous debates not distract us."
- "Freedom came to our country on the midnight of August 14-15, 1947. It was the result of years and decades and centuries of sacrifice and valour on the part of our ancestors and our revered freedom fighters. These were men and women of rare courage and foresight."
- "India belongs to the people of India, not just to the government. Together we can help every citizen in our country. Together we can conserve our forests and natural heritage, we can safeguard our monuments for future generations."
- "As President of India, I have been fortunate to have travelled around the world. Everywhere, across continents, Gandhi ji is mentioned, cherished and remembered as an icon for all humanity. He is the embodiment of India. This year, Independence Day is special. From October 2, the celebrations of Mahatma Gandhi's 150 anniversary will begin."
- "We can and we must do this together. The government has a leading role but not the sole role. Let us use the government's programmes and projects to further our own efforts. Let us make that sense of ownership our motivation."
- "The outcome of education is not merely a degree or a diploma, but the commitment to help improve the life of another in a way that is sustainable."
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.