Lucknow: Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the historic Dussehra Mahotsav at the Aishbagh Ramlila Ground in Lucknow today. This is the first ever visit to the function by a sitting Prime Minister.
Here are the highlights:
- My greetings on the auspicious occasion of Vijaya Dashmi.
- This land has given us Shri Ram and Shri Krishna. I am fortunate to have come here to join the Vijaya Dashmi celebrations.
- This festival is about the victory of good over evil. We should strengthen our resolve of removing all our faults when we burn Ravana.
- The burning of (10-headed) Ravana symbolises that we should remove at least 10 shortcomings in ourselves.
- The uniqueness of this nation is - our traditions have been kept alive, generation after generation.
- Who fought terrorism for the first time? The first person to fight (Ravana's) terrorism was Jatayu. We can't become Ram but we can become Jatayu.
- After 26/11, the world realised how deadly terrorism is.
- Terrorism is an enemy of humanity. Everyone has to speak in one voice against terrorism.
- Those who conduct terror attacks, those who back terrorism, can't be left unpunished.
- Today is Girl Child Day too. We burn Ravana who tortured one Sita... Why can't we save the Sitas in our homes? Look at Olympics, daughters of the nation have made us proud.
- Women need to be respected and treated right, no matter what religion or background one comes from.
- At times, it is the compulsion of the times and situation that makes war necessary. But this is the land of Buddha, not yuddha (war).