Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Congress president Rahul Gandhi are in Chhattisgarh today to campaign ahead of run-up to the assembly polls in a state that has been reeling under Left-wing extremism for decades now. Assembly elections are scheduled to be held in Chhattisgarh next week in two phases on November 12 and November 20. The first phase is to be held in the Maoist-affected constituencies of Bastar region that falls in the southern part of the central Indian state.
PM Modi in his address at Jagdalpur, the headquarters of Bastar district, said "urban Maoists live in air-conditioned homes, study abroad, roam around in fancy cars and try to disrupt peace here." Rahul Gandhi attacked the BJP government over alleged inaction against insolvent businessmen who have "fled the country" in his poll address. Their visit comes a day after at least five people, including a security personnel, were killed after Maoists triggered an explosion in Chhattisgarh's Dantewada district.
Here are the Highlights of their Chhattisgarh visit:
"But none of these promises were fulfilled," he said.
Mr Gandhi further said jewellers Nirav Modi and Mehul Choksi, liquor baron Vijay Mallya and tainted cricket administrator Lalit Modi fled India with the country's money worth thousands of crores.
"Ambani has never made an aircraft and the contract was snatched from HAL and Modi ji gifted Rs 30,000 crore to Ambani," he alleged.
The Congress has earlier also levelled these accusations, which has been rejected by the government as well as by the Ambani-led Reliance Group.
Mr Singh has denied these charges earlier.
"If we form the government in Chhattisgarh, we will waive the loans of farmers within ten days," he said.
He said that his party will stand by the farmers through thick and thin.
"Food processing units will be developed for farmers in each and every district. The unit will also provide employment to rural youths," he added.
"After the Congress government comes to power, Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh will be developed as agriculture centres of the country like Punjab and Haryana," he said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Congress president Rahul Gandhi hit the campaign trail today in Chhattisgarh, where people will vote for the assembly elections in two phases on November 12 and 20.
- I don't know why Congress makes fun of adivasis. Once I had gone for a rally to the Northeast of our country and there had worn a traditional adivasi headgear but Congress leaders made fun of that hat, it was an insult of adivasi culture.
- I want to be that Prime Minister who would remember the food and the turban that my Adivasi brother put for me.
- People in Congress have been born with a silver spoon, how will they know the sentiments of Adivasi?
- I have had the opportunity of seeing the struggles of people of Chhattisgarh, I know the sentiment of my brothers and sisters.
- For 10 years, Congress was at the Centre, but they never paid attention to the needs of Chhattisgarh and blocked all development for the state. They never thought of the region's progress. If they were still in power. You would have just been there. 20,000 kms were laid in 4 years by BJP.
- Do you want people who work or people who prevent work from happening?
- Congress always considers the poor, dalits, tribals and the marginalised as their vote-bank. It was Atal Bihari Vajpayee Ji who thought about their welfare and created a tribal affairs ministry.
- Urban maoists live in air conditioned house, study abroad, roam in fancy cars and try to disrupt peace here in Chhattisgarh. Can we forgive these Urban Maoists? Why is Congress supporting these Urban Maoists?
- I urge the people of Bastar to teach a fitting lesson to the Congress leaders, who on one hand try to shield the urban naxals, and in Chhattisgarh speak about freeing the state from naxals.
- A cameraman from DD news and jawans of our security forces were killed by maoists in Chhattisgarh. But shamefully the Congress called them 'Krantikari'.
- He says, "After all these years of independence, there used to be elections before, there used to governments before, but there was always the element of it being about a person's candidate, caste and family. Everyone thinks of bringing development to their own place."
- There is no "me and you", no discrimination between people, between gender and caste. We have put an end to discrimination and lived by sabka sath, sabka vikas. Our government wants progress for everybody.
- There was money before, there were schemes before, but the task was in someone else's hand. We have now cleared the way. We have given you the right.
- From the kid in the womb through all the stages of the child, in all kind of needs, we want to walk hand-in-hand with you guys.
- We are sparing no efforts to strengthen the region of Bastar. We are making efforts to enhance the quality of life of people here.
Congress President @RahulGandhi will be in Chhattisgarh today as part of a two day tour. Stay tuned to our social media channels for his live speeches.- Congress (@INCIndia) November 9, 2018