Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, an accused in the 2008 Malegaon blasts case and the BJP candidate against Congress's Digvijaya Singh in Bhopal, said that former Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) Hemant Karkare lost his life because she had cursed him.
Hemant Karkare was killed along with two other senior police officers while fighting terrorists during the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai in November 2008.
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur is expected to file her nomination from Bhopal on April 23. Bhopal will go to polls on May 12. Counting of votes will take place on May 23.
Here are the Highlights on this story:
"Take Back My Words," Says Sadhvi Pragya After Backlash Over Comments On 26/11 Hero Hemant Karkare
Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur's comments boasting about her "curse" on 26/11 hero Hemant Karkare were "personal" and may have been driven by the torture she faced when she was in jail in the 2008 Malegaon blasts, the ruling BJP said today amid wide condemnation of her comments.
Hemant Karkare gave his life protecting India. He must be treated with respect.- Rahul Gandhi (@RahulGandhi) April 19, 2019
Ashok Chakra awardee late Sri Hemant Karkare, IPS made the supreme sacrifice fighting terrorists. Those of us in uniform condemn the insulting statement made by a candidate and demand that sacrifices of all our martyrs be respected.- IPS Association (@IPS_Association) April 19, 2019
Hemant Karkare is a martyr who gave up his life for our country. An insult to him is an insult to all who have laid their lives in the service of the nation. It hurts the sentiments of every patriotic indian. Statement by Sadhvi Pragya is unacceptable and highly condemnable. https://t.co/COxl0p4zwa- NCP (@NCPspeaks) April 19, 2019
The nation is proud and indebt of Mumbai ATS Chief Hemant Karkare who laid down his life fighting against the terrorist during the 26/11 attack. @BJP4India must apologize for insulting Hemant Karkare. https://t.co/biIVno5FXK- AAP (@AamAadmiParty) April 19, 2019
I live in Mumbai. We saw 26/11 at close quarters. ATS Chief #HemantKarkare stood up to save us from Pakistani terrorists. He was killed by them. #BJP candidate from Bhopal #PragyaSinghThakur mocks his death.- Sanjay Jha (@JhaSanjay) April 19, 2019
If you agree that this insults one of our bravest martyrs, please do RT!
Disgraceful comments by BJP's Bhopal Lok Sabha candidate Pragya Thakur on 26/11 martyr Hemant Karkare ji need to be condemned in strongest terms. BJP is showing its true colours & it must be shown it's place now https://t.co/3Qdo1x7kPI- Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) April 19, 2019
- Hemant Karkare was the first officer to investigate the blasts on September 29, 2008, in which six people were killed and 101 injured.
- Pragya Thakur was arrested in 2008 but was given a clean chit by the National Investigation Agency in 2015 for lack of evidence. However, the trial court refused to let her off, saying it was difficult to accept since her motorcycle was used in the blast.
- She has been cleared of charges under the Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act and was granted bail by the Bombay High Court in 2017 but remains an accused under the Unlawful Activities Prevention Act.
- BJP's new recruit Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, also in the 2008 Malegaon blasts case made a shocking comment on the 26/11 attacks hero.
- Sadhvi Pragya said that former Maharashtra Anti-Terrorist Squad (ATS) Hemant Karkare lost his life because she had cursed him.
- "The investigation team called Hemant Karkare and said if you do not have evidence, let her go. He said, 'I will do anything to get evidence against her. I won't let her go.' This was his hatred (kuteelta). He was anti-national. He was dharm virudh (anti-religion). You won't believe, but I said, 'tera sarvanash hoga (you will be destroyed)'. Just after 'sawa' month, terrorists killed him," said Sadhvi Pragya to reporters on Thursday.