A major fire broke out at a shopping centre in Mumbai's Borivali early this morning, but there was no report of any casualty or injury, a fire brigade official said.
The fire brigade received the call about the blaze in the basement of Indraprastha Mall on SV Road in Borivali West around 3 am, he added.
"The mall is a three-storey structure, excluding the basement. The fire started from the basement and spread to the two floors," he said.
The blaze was initially categorised as level-2 fire, but was tagged as level-3 around 4 am and then level-4 at 6.25 am.
Chief Fire Officer (CFO) PS Rahangdale said that a fire robot has been deployed along with the firefighters to douse the fire.
"The fire flames have spread to the upper floors of the shopping centre. A fire robot has been deployed along with our team. Fourteen fire engines and 13 jumbo tanker are being used to douse the fire. In the next two hours, the fire might come under control," he said.
The security incharge of the complex claimed that the fire broke out due to a short circuit at one of the shops in the shopping complex.
"The fire broke out around 2:55 am. The guard informed me and we immediately called the fire department. There are 77 shops inside the complex, all of them deal in mobile phones. Short circuit was the reason for the fire," said Vijay, the security incharge at the shopping centre.
Last month, a fire incident was reported at the office of the Bank of Bahrain and Kuwait in South Mumbai's Nariman Point area. In another incident, a level-two fire was reported in a few shops at the iconic Crawford market last month.
With inputs from agencies