Lok Sabha elections live updates: PM Modi held a grand roadshow in Varanasi yesterday.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has filed his nomination for reelection from Varanasi. PM Modi arrivd at the District Magistrate's office after a meeting with NDA leaders. All senior leaders of the BJP, NDA and North East Democratic Alliance, including Shiv Sena chief Uddhav Thackeray and Shiromani Akali Dal leader Parkash Singh Badal, are present for the occasion.
Congress President Rahul Gandhi tweeted that an "engine trouble" on their flight has forced him to delay his programmes for today. "Engine trouble on our flight to Patna today! We've been forced to return to Delhi. Today's meetings in Samastipur (Bihar), Balasore (Orissa) & Sangamner (Maharashta) will run late. Apologies for the inconvenience," he tweeted. The Congress leader was scheduled to address a public meeting in Patna at around 10:30 am. Mr Gandhi will also address rallies in Odisha and Maharashtra.
Meanwhile, senior officials of the Election Commission will meet today to discuss the possibility of holding assembly elections in Jammu and Kashmir. The voting for the parliamentary elections was largely peaceful in the state. Jammu and Kashmir has been under President's Rule since June last year.
Here are the LIVE Updates from 2019 Election Campaigning:
Vote to make democracy stronger, says PM Modi
PM Modi thanked the people of Varanasi after filing his nomination and urged voters to exercise their franchise to strengthen democracy. "I am thankful to the people of Kashi. After five years, they have given their blessings to me again," he told the media after filing his nomination at the Collector office.
PM Modi said the "longest-ever roadshow" in the city that started on Thursday evening and continued until Friday could have been possible only in Kashi, as Varanasi is popularly known.
Asking voters to vote, he said: "Some people are (saying) that Modi is winning, so there is no need to vote. Do not fall for it. Voting is your right and everyone must vote."
Rahul Gandhi is campaigning in Samastipur, Bihar
PM Modi has left thhe District Magistrate's office after filing his nomination.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has filed his nomination in Varanasi. The District Magistrate is currently going through the papers before he signs off the nomination papers.
NDA leaders arrive at Collectorate Office in Varanasi ahead of PM Modi's nomination filing.
PM Modi offer prayers on way to file nomination.
PM post is not to indulge in pleasures: PM Modi
- The prime minister's post is not to indulge in pleasures... not to indulge into nepotism.
- The post is meant to serve the people of the country... that's what I have done in 5 years.
Electing the government is in hands of citizens, running it is our responsibility, says PM Modi in Varanasi.
"I will not enjoy winning the elections if my workers lose at any of the polling booths. There should only be one 'mantra' now: Mera booth, sabse mazboot. (My booth, the strongest)"
- Lets not make distasteful comments against rival candidates. Every candidate will be strengthening democracy by contesting elections.
- If you are a true sipahi (soldier) of Modi, don't get inspired by TV debates. Don't get affected by people abusing me.
- Co-existence, brotherhood are signs of healthy democracy.
BJP President Amit Shah with NDA leaders in Varanasi. JD(U) leader Nitish Kumar and Lok Janshakti Party chief Ram Vilas Paswan have come to Varanasi for the occasion. AIADMK leader O Panneerselvam is also present.
I have never let the karyakarta inside me die: PM Modi
- I have never denied party workers an appointment. I have always been available to people and party workers.
- I have never let the karyakarta (party worker) inside me die.
- I have tried to be as efficient as an MP just the way I have delivered as a PM.
- I am grateful for the love from the nation.
- Have worked tirelessly for the nation. We have worked honestly for good governance.
- This election is not about Modi... it's about these party workers... Every vote is important.
The people of the country are fighting the elections, not us: PM
- The political pundits, after the polls, will be analysing how the nation is witnessing a "pro-incumbency" wave for the first time after independence
- Me, Amit Shah, Yog Adityanathiji are just karyakartas (party workers). It's not us but the people who are fighting the elections.
- The hard work of the party workers and love of the citizens is what I am experiencing.
- I am proud that our booth workers carried our door-to-door campaigning despite the intense heat.
- Yesterday, I saw a family member in every resident of Varanasi.
PM Modi is addressing party workers in Varanasi.
PM Modi will contest against Congress' Ajay Rai and SP leader Shalini Yadav in Varanasi
PM Modi is contesting against Congress' Ajay Rai and SP leader Shalini Yadav. Ending days of speculation regarding Priyanka Gandhi's candidature from the temple town, Congress on Thursday announced that it would field Mr Rai as its candidate from the Varanasi Lok Sabha seat. This would be the second time PM Modi and Mr Rai will battle from Varanasi seat.
Congress President Rahul Gandhi will campaign in three states today. Mr Gandhi is scheduled to address a public meeting at 10:30 am in Bihar, followed by rallies in Odisha and Maharashtra.
PM Modi has reached Assi Ghat in Varanasi. PM Modi is seeking a reelection from the temple town.
A day before, the Prime Minister held a grand roadshow in Varanasi along with Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, Union Minister JP Nadda, UP and Delhi BJP chiefs, Mahendra Nath Pandey and Manoj Tiwari.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will hold a roadshow in Varanasi before filing his nomination for reelection from the temple town today. All senior leaders of the BJP, NDA and North East Democratic Alliance are expected to be present in the city to mark the occasion. PM Modi is expected to begin his schedule with prayers at the iconic Kashi Vishwanath Temple, news agncy ANI reported.
For all the new on election-related news of yesterday, click here