Pune: Recuperating in a private hospital in Pune, activist Anna Hazare on Sunday asked his supporters not to worry about his health saying he will be alright in a few days even as doctors attending on him said he should not go on fast for at least one month.
The 74-year-old activist, who was admitted to the hospital last night after suffering from a viral infection, said he was feeling "much better" now. He is being monitored by a team of doctors.
"People who thought I am very unwell, it is not like that. I am much better now," he told reporters.
"In a few days, I will be alright. Don't worry about me. I request all my countrymen and volunteers not to worry. My health is not that bad," he said.
This is the first public comments of Hazare after he ended his fast in Mumbai abruptly on Wednesday following failing health and poor public response.
Doctors attending on him said Hazare needs "complete rest" now and that his aides have been asked not to disturb him.
"He is showing signs of improvement... he is being treated for chest infection and will require to remain in the hospital for at least a week," said Dr Parag Sancheti.
Suresh Pathare, Hazare's secretary said his condition was "stable" but had been advised a complete rest by the doctors. Hazare's another aide and team member Arvind Kejriwal will be here tomorrow to meet Hazare.
"We will try to explore new ways of putting pressure on the government. Right now, Anna's health is priority. We are not thinking about any agitation right now," Team Anna member Manish Sisodia said.
And as a prayer meeting was held in Delhi for Anna's health, the blame game has started.
"Members of his team are responsible for ill-health of Anna Hazare," said the RJD's Lalu Yadav.
"Congress is blaming us, but they didn't want to pass the bill," BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi said.
(With agency inputs)