Speaking on-board his special plane, returning to India after visiting Japan and Thailand, Prime minister Manmohan Singh spoke on a variety of issues including saying that he hoped sports and politics don't get mixed up. This, when he was asked about the ongoing IPL spot-fixing and betting scandal unfolding in the country.
Highlights of his interaction with the press:
- Won't comment on the IPL. The matter is under investigation. I hope politics and sports don't get mixed up.
- There is an invitation from government of Pakistan for me to visit them - no dates have been fixed but we would certainly like better relations.
- We are committed to resolving all issues between India and Pakistan in a peaceful manner. That was a sentiment reciprocated by Nawaz Sharif.
- It has been my great privilege to represent Assam in the Rajya Sabha since 1991. I will do so with renewed vigour and dedication.
- We are thinking of filling up the few vacancies that are there in the Cabinet.
- No permanent allies, no permanent enemies in politics. (On whether Congress will reach out to Left, Mamata Banerjee for UPA-III)
- In the coming months you will see inflation coming under greater control and the scope for growth-promoting activities increasing.