This is how the attackers struck, according to information from sources:
- Around 5.30 am, the three armed terrorists, wearing army uniforms, tried to grab a tempo on a major highway near the bus stand in Dinanagar.
- The tempo driver managed to escape, said sources.
- A roadside food stall owner was reportedly killed in the firing.
- The terrorists then opened fire on a bus heading towards the state capital of Chandigarh; six passengers were injured.
- The terrorists shot next at a white Maruti 800; the driver was injured; the attackers left in his car
- They stopped at the police station in Dinanagar and opened fire. Two cops were killed.
- In the exchange of fire with security forces, three patients at a hospital next door were shot, according to sources. Two of them have died.
- The terrorists were then holed up in a part of the police station and continued to exchange fire with security forces. Another three policemen were killed during the counter-terror operations.
- All three terrorists have been killed, sources told news agencies. The operation is over.