Bihar: 7 policemen killed in 14-hr-long maoist encounter

Lakhisarai, Bihar: A night-long encounter between security forces and Naxals in Poona-Dih village of Bihar's Lakhisarai district has finally ended after 14 hours. According to reports, seven policemen have been killed in the encounter.

11 security personnel were injured in the attack and 11 others are missing. The injured were taken to the Sadar Hospital in Lakhisarai.

The encounter began on Sunday evening when the Naxals attacked a police party searching the area. The search party included personnel from the Bihar Military Police, State Auxiliary Police (SAP) and the CRPF.

Speaking to NDTV, Satender Giri, an injured jawan recounts the bloodbath and narrates how he survived the 14-hour encounter with Maoists:

Jawan: Forty of us were ordered by the SP to march to the top of the hill and combat the Maoists. The CRPF were also behind us. When we reached the base of the hill, we saw a militant running up. We wanted to surround him but when we opened fire they started firing. Then then suddenly there was a hail of bullets from top. We somehow ran and tried to escape. Some three to four jawans managed to escape. We were hit by bullets...we hid behind a tree...but the moment the inspector who was leading the operations said he was leaving...just seconds later he also got shot. I decided it was best to stay put.

NDTV: How did you escape?

Jawan: My officer died and also a fellow jawan died. I lay there for long. I lost a lot of blood. The ground around me was wet with blood. I got up eventually and tried walking. Several bullets were fired at me. I walked about 20 yards in that way...don't know how i was saved...after that I found bushes around me. Later I walked 4 kms from the hill to the police camp.

NDTV: Who was leading the operations?

Jawan: There were two inspectors from Bihar police, Yadav and Garva ji.

NDTV: But wasn't the SP leading the operations?

No, he was sitting in his office in Lakhisarai.
Listen to the latest songs, only on