- Physical activity does not need to be complicated
- A sedentary lifestyle can contribute to weight gain
- Walking can help reduce the stress levels by improving circulation
No more strenuous workouts to get rid of that stubborn belly fat. Physical activity does not need to be complicated. Something as simple as a daily brisk walk, jogging, running or cycling can help you live a healthier life. Regular brisk walking can be perfect to help you maintain a healthy body weight, prevent chronic diseases including heart disease, high blood pressure and diabetes, strengthen your bones and muscles, improve your mood and in turn promotes overall health. Walking is the most simple yet effective physical exercise, requires minimal equipment, can be done at any time of day and can be performed at your own pace. You can get out and walk without worrying about the risks associated with some more vigorous training sessions. Walking is also a great form of physical activity for people who are overweight, elderly or people do not go the gym.
1. Burns calories: A sedentary lifestyle can not only contribute to weight gain, but it can also increase your risk of several health problems. Trying to get more exercise by simply walking can help you burn more calories and reduce numerous health risks. To increase the intensity of your walk and burn even more calories, try walking on routes with hills or slight inclines.
2. Boosts immunity: Your body’s immune system should function properly at all times to prevent infections, diseases, and chronic illness. Walking is a great way to boost your immunity. Walking at least thirty minutes a day can help bolster the activities of the immune cells, namely, the B-cells, T-cells, and the natural killer cells. It helps release the white blood cells at a faster rate, thereby allowing your body to heal quickly.
3. Aids in digestion: Improper digestion can lead to gastrointestinal discomfort, bloating, constipation, diarrhea, irregular bowel movements and even colon cancer. Therefore, it is extremely important that you keep your digestive system healthy. Apart from healthy diet, right food choices and drinking water, you should also walk everyday to improve digestion. Walking after meals does wonders for your health. It helps you to shed those extra pounds and also supports your digestive system.
4. Keeps stress at bay: Walking can help reduce the stress levels by improving circulation, which, in turn, provides nutrients and oxygen to the cells. It also stimulates the nervous system receptors and decreases the production of the stress hormones. Breathing in and out while walking also helps to breathe out the tension, worries and stress.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.