- Protein bars are low in carbohydrates and dietary minerals
- Protein bars are handy and do not require refrigeration or heating
- They are rich in protein and fiber helps to keep you feel fuller longer
Protein bars are low in carbohydrates, dietary minerals and other vitamins and significantly high in protein. A protein bar is a super convenient way to keep you charged before or after a workout. There are some protein bars which contain many artificial ingredients, added sugars, preservatives and not so desirable ingredients which can do more harm to your body than good. The protein bars can be prepared at home easily with all the energy-boosting ingredients like nuts, healthy seeds, fruits, grains and protein powder. You can prepare these nutritious bars ahead of time( may be on weekends) and then can be consumed post your workout, as an evening snack, in the early morning breakfast or you can give your child for his school lunch.
Some health benefits of protein bars:
1. Meal Replacement: Meal-replacement bars or protein bars have a wealth of nutrients like proteins and fiber which help you feel full for longer. They have some other vital vitamins and minerals to ensure a well-balanced nutrition. The American Dietetic Association notes that meal replacements, including nutritious protein bars, are beneficial for weight management. However, you cannot rely entirely on these bars for your diet. They do not provide you all the nutrients and antioxidants which are found in fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains.
2. Snack Between Meals: Eating a protein bar instead of a packet of chips or a burger can reduce snacking or overeating between the meals. Many of these bars contain chocolate, peanut butter which satisfy your sweet tooth as well. Snacks like candy bars, chocolates, ice-creams can lead to weight gain and might increase the blood sugar levels as well.
3. Portable and Tasty: Protein bars are handy and can be easily taken to gym or work. Neither do they need refrigeration nor heating and you can eat them almost anywhere at anytime. These bars are a healthy option to get your protein throughout the day.
4. Pre and Post Workout: The plenty of nutrients that your body needs helps you keep energetic throughout your workouts. As we all know, protein bars are easy to carry and can be consumed either before or after your workout. If you are bored of the normal protein shakes you can quickly grab a protein bar at the gym.
Some quick protein bars to make at home:
1. Coconut and chia seeds bars: Chocolates are all time favourite. Instead of grabbing a whole sugary chocolate bar you can add some grated chocolate or chocolate chipsto make your own healthier protein bars. Coconut bars can also be boring. But if you add some protein-rich chia seeds, it can be an added advantage. Chia seeds have plenty of fibre, calcium, omega-3 and antioxidants. Other ingredients that go into these bars like peanut butter and oats, ensure that they will keep you satiated and avoid you from overeating in your next meal.
2. Fruit protein bars: These bars can be made with dried fruits like walnuts, almonds and cashews, rolled oats, and some vanilla whey protein powder. You can make them over the weekend as they are ready to grab when you are rushing to the gym or office.
3. Raw cranberry and nut bars: You can make these protein rich bars from dried cranberries. You can also add macadamia nuts which will make the bars all the more tastier. As an added benefit you can even add crushed almonds or cashews. These bars can be made in bulk and stored in the freezer in order to make them handy.
4. Muesli bars: The sweetness of shredded coconut along with honey can be very healthy. You can add some nuts and quinoa flakes also. These muesli bars are rich in fiber and will keep you full for longer and energetic at the same time.
Disclaimer: This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.