- A new report was published in the Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology
- Researchers examined rates of 12 types of cancer from 175 countries
- Researchers found that about 544,000 cancer cases
Researchers found that about 544,000 cancer cases, or about 3.9 percent of the total, were linked with a high body-mass index (BMI, a ratio of weight to height), and 280,000, or 2 percent, were linked with diabetes. The study further states that the biggest proportion of cancer cases related to diabetes and high BMI - about 38 percent - occurred in high-income western countries, followed by east and southeast Asian countries at about 24 percent.
The report also indicates that liver cancer and endometrial cancer contributed the highest number of cancer cases related to diabetes and high BMI, at 25 percent and 38 percent, respectively. Here are some herbs and ingredients that have scientifically been shown to reduce the risk of cancer.
1. Amla: Laboratory trials of amla extracts have shown its ability to kill and prevent growth of cancer cells while not harming the healthy cells.
2. Garlic: The European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC), an ongoing multinational study across 10 countries has shown a positive co-relation between the consumption of garlic and onion and reduced risk of cancer.
4. Ashwagandha: Its anti-cancer value was realized about 40 years ago when researchers isolated a crystalline steroidal compound (withaferin A) from this herb. Further research on these extracts which were taken from the leaf of ashwagandha showed that they were able to kill cancerous cells.
A good diet can he,p in boosting your overall health and well-being in the long run.
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.