But what can a parent do besides helping kids with homework and schools projects?
Here are a few things a parent or a guardian can do to make sure that their child or ward grows up to be a responsible and benevolent individual.
1. Read: Reading is the most underrated pleasure and activity but reading a book to your child or reading a book with your child not just inculcates a good habit but also develops a string bond with the child involved.
2. Eat together: In most families, nowadays, parents no longer have any meal together with their children. Having at least one meal of the day with your children is important. It not only makes a child feel loved, but also allows them to communicate in an open and free environment.
3. Don't substitute for your kids: An important outcome of education is that kids learn to be self-dependent. As their parent or guardian, you should help them out but never offer to do their work. The point behind every assignment and project is that kids pick up skills and knowledge while doing them. If you are the one doing your kids homework or projects then you are denying them the opportunity to learn something new.
5. Encourage them to interact: This also includes interacting with kids from diverse backgrounds. Knowledge can come from the most unlikeliest of sources and one of such sources is children who come from a different background. They will not only learn about the diversity among people at an early age but will also learn to work in teams and collaborate with peers.
6. Stay updated about curriculum: Go through your child's curriculum and be aware about what they are learning. Keep a steady check on the learning outcomes and if your child is keeping up with what is being taught in class.
7. Do not compare: This also includes do not pressurize your kid into taking up an activity or extra class just because others are doing it. Every child is unique and would not respond in the same way as others. Also, never compare your child to someone who in your opinion is doing better in class or sports or arts. This not only humiliates them but can also become the root of lack of self-confidence in later life.
Click here for more Education News
Get the latest election news, live updates and election schedule for Lok Sabha Elections 2019 on ndtv.com/elections. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for updates from each of the 543 parliamentary seats for the 2019 Indian general elections.