Gang-rape in Delhi bus: Police arrest two prime accused, recover iron rod

New Delhi: The police have arrested two prime accused - a bus driver and his brother - in the shocking case of a medical student being gang-raped and assaulted in a bus in Delhi on Sunday. According to the police, along with the driver of the bus, Ram Singh, and his brother Mukesh, four more men were involved in the crime. The police have also recovered the iron rod, which was used to assault the victim and her friend.

When the young 23-year-old medical student and her male friend finished watching a movie in Saket in South Delhi, it wasn't very late.

At about 10 pm, they boarded a bus from Munirka in south Delhi. The six men, who were already on the chartered bus, run by a private operator, saw the young girl and began harassing and taunting her for being out with a man late in the night.

What happened next is not clear yet before an unimaginable 90 minutes. The woman would be gang-raped and then beaten repeatedly with an iron rod. Her companion, who tried to intervene and protect her, was also attacked.

A little after 11 pm, the Police Control Room received a phone call from a passer-by, informing them about the semi-naked couple, lying unconscious on a flyover. The police then collected the young couple and rushed them to a hospital.

More than 24 hours later, the woman is struggling for her life. After going through multiple operations, she is currently on a ventilator.

The police sources say the iron rod used on her caused irreparable damage to her abdomen.

Her friend was treated for head injuries and is reportedly in critical condition.

The bus used has been tracked down to the suburb of Noida, and was reportedly used by private schools. Though last night, police believe that Ram Singh and others were moonlighting, hoping to make an extra buck. They were all drinking before the incident, according to the police.

Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit said that the permit of the bus has been cancelled by the transport department and necessary action would be taken to ensure such incidents don't happen in the future.

"I have been told by transport department that their licence has been cancelled. We will take all the necessary measures to ensure that such incidents don't happen," she said.