Hyderabad: A man in Hyderabad has been detained in connection with yesterday's twin blasts which killed 16 people and injured 117 in the busy neighbourhood of Dilsukhnagar. In Parliament, the government faced scathing criticism for overlooking intelligence warnings issued just days ago of a possible terror strike in cities like Hyderabad.
Here are the latest developments:
- Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde refuted the opposition's accusations that intelligence warnings, issued on Tuesday, were largely ignored by the centre. The minister said the union government had taken "necessary steps" but said he could not elaborate for security reasons. (Read: Centre took necessary steps: Shinde)
- NDTV has learnt that the warning mentioned possible terrorist activity in Hyderabad and other cities. (Read: Pune link to Hyderabad blasts)
- In Hyderabad this morning, Mr Shinde said the intelligence input was not specific. In parliament, BJP leaders asked sarcastically if the government would like intelligence alerts to include "door numbers and street numbers." (Read: Would you like a street number in intel alerts, asks BJP)
- The BJP also pointed out that in October, the Delhi Police said that alleged Indian Mujahideen terrorists had disclosed that they had surveyed Dilsukhnagar as the location for a possible terror strike. (Hyderabad blasts despite intelligence reports: Sushma Swaraj)
- Investigators who combed the debris in Dilsukhnagar this morning said the two bombs used were packed with huge amounts of iron nails and bolts and ammonium nitrate tied together with copper string. This made the explosions very powerful, they said. (Read: Blasts triggered by IED)
- One man was detained in Hyderabad for questioning, the local police said.
- Crucial forensic evidence may have been destroyed by crowds swarming the area last night, who ignored police orders to leave the area for several hours. (See pictures)
- Among the 16 people who were killed were three young students who were at the market to buy textbooks. (A survivor's request: please don't do it again)
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Kiran Kumar Reddy today denied reports that wires of a security camera near the location of the blasts had been snapped four days ago.
- The test match between India and Australia, scheduled to start in Hyderabad on March 2, has not been re-scheduled. (Read)
Story First Published: February 22, 2013 18:04 IST