CBI defends raids against Stalin, says searches not intended to target any individual: Full statement

CBI defends raids against Stalin, says searches not intended to target any individual: Full statement
New Delhi After several senior Cabinet ministers said they "strongly disapproved" the CBI's raids against DMK leader MK Stalin, the investigating agency defended its action and said the searches were conducted in accordance with procedure and were not intended to target any particular individual.

Here is the full statement issued by the CBI:

CBI Registers A Case In Connection With Alleged Violation In Import Of Luxury Vehicles; Seizes 17 Imported Cars

New Delhi, 21.03.2013

The Central Bureau of Investigation registered a case under section 120-B r/w 420, 467, 468, 468 r/w 471 IPC and sec. 13 (2) r/w 13 (1) (d) of PC Act, 1988 in connection with a complaint that about 33 vehicles had been imported in Tamil Nadu and of these, certain vehicles are believed to have been imported and subsequently sold in violation of import provisions causing loss of upto Rs.48 crores approx. to the exchequer.
 
The case has been registered against an importer and a senior intelligence officer of DRI who allegedly did not take any action even after identification of vehicles at the premises of certain users and unknown others.
 
During the searches conducted at 18 locations today, 17 imported cars have been located and seized under Section 102 (3) Cr.PC. Searches are continuing.
 
CBI wishes to clarify that the above operation was strictly in accordance with procedures and there was no intention whatsoever to target any particular individual.
 
Investigation is in progress.


 
Story First Published: March 21, 2013 13:15 IST

................................ Advertisement ................................

MORE FROM NDTV
FROM THE WEB