- The Supreme Court set aside the judgement and the order of the High Court and "affirm in to the judgement and order the trial court convicting the accused persons". Apart from the jail term, the trial court had imposed a fine of Rs 100 crore on Jayalalithaa and Rs 10 crore each on her long-time live-in aide, VK Sasikala and her two relatives, Ilavarasi and VN Sudhagaran.
- Constitutional expert PP Rao called the top court's verdict a setback to Ms Sasikala who will not be able to contest elections for six years after serving her four-year jail term. Therefore, for 10 years, virtually, her political career is completely obliterated, he told NDTV.
- Ms Sasikala has nominated Edappadi K Palanisamy to lead the party, and the government instead of Mr Panneerselvam for the chief minister's post. But Palanisamy too will have to clear the floor test in the assembly if he does give an invite..
- Mr Rao said Governor C Vidyasagar Rao should convene a session of the Tamil Nadu assembly where - whoever wants to contest for the chief minister's post should throw in their hat - and get the assembly's support.
- Support is already growing for Mr Panneerselvam among AIADMK legislators. Mylapore legislator R Natraj, who was perceived to have been neutral during the Sasikala-Panneerselvam tussle all these days - conceded that people in his constituency wanted Mr Panneerselvam to continue. The next step for the AIADMK, he said, was to convene a meeting of the party legislators, quite like the one that had named Ms Sasikala as leader of the party's legislative party leader.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.