- As the cyclone hit land, the coastal towns including Cuddalore, Nagapattinam, Thondi and Pamban in Tamil Nadu and Karaikkal in Puducherry received moderate rainfall.
- The severe cyclonic storm is very likely to move nearly westwards and weaken gradually into a cyclonic storm during the next six hours, the weather office said.
- During the cyclone's landfall, rain hit Nagapattinam, Tiruvarur, and Thanjavur, uprooting trees in several regions, the details of which are expected later in the day.
- Senior bureaucrats have been stationed in these coastal districts, officials have said. Power supply was disconnected in Nagapattinam and in several other coastal regions in view of the cyclone's landfall.
- Four teams each from the National Disaster Relief Force and its counterpart in the state are working in Nagapattinam. 9,000 first responders are also working to rescue people.
- The district administration is also working with cellphone operators to ensure disruption-free mobile services as the cyclone makes landfall.
- Two naval ships equipped with divers, helicopters and inflatable boats were also docked to move to affected areas to provide relief and humanitarian aid, according to reports.
- The Southern Railway cancelled four trains, including three from Chennai to Nagapattinam, Tiruvarur and Thanjavur districts. Four express trains bound for southern districts were diverted. Trains bound for Rameswaram had been stopped at Manamadurai.
- The cyclone, which moved towards Tamil Nadu from southwest Bay of Bengal, was expected to cross the state's coastline between Pamban and Cuddalore late on Thursday evening. However, it moved slowly causing the delay.
- Schools and colleges will remain shut on Friday and offices and business establishments were asked to relieve employees early. The Anna University has postponed its exams.
Follow NDTV for latest election news and live coverage of assembly elections 2019 in Maharashtra and Haryana.
Subscribe to our YouTube channel, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.