Mumbai: Pallavi Purkayastha was found murdered in her house on Thursday morning. Today, Himanshu Roy, Joint Commissioner Crime Branch, described the sequence of events.
Here are the highlights of his presser:
- This is regarding the unfortunate incident yesterday - murder of Ms Pallavi Purkayastha.
- When she came back, she noticed that her lights were not working. She sent BBM to her friend Avik Sengupta who is a lawyer senior to her.
- She informed him the electricity wasn't available, and he suggested that she should call an electrician. She called a local electrician, who came, restored electricity and left.
- She called the electrician for a second time and he came again
- This time, he disconnected all the electrical equipment and asked her to only use the fan
- When Mr Avik Sengupta returned from the office at 5:30 am in the morning, he found the door was ajar and there were bloodstains in the passage
- When he entered the room, hr found her body. Tried to revive her. When he couldn't do this, he reached out to neighbours
- Police was called in
- Cops found that the entry was not forced
- It was found that Ms Purkayastha was a cautious woman, she wouldn't let in a stranger
- The Police Commissioner deemed it fit to hand over the investigation to the Crime Branch
- Last night, as a course of investigation, we detained Sajjad (22), a resident of Baramulla in J&K who worked as watchman in the building
- He jumped over the fence to escape and went to several places in Mumbai
- We caught him from Mumbai Central station while he was trying to escape to Jammu
- DNA mapping will be done as part of our investigation