Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh:
Sixty children died at Gorakhpur's Baba Raghav Das Medical College in five days.
Sixty three children, including many newborn babies, have died in the last five days at a hospital in Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath's parliamentary constituency. Prime Minister Narendra Modi's office tweeted saying the PM is closely watching the situation. The Congress said Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath and Health Minister Siddharth Nath Singh should resign taking "moral responsibility" for the deaths at a state-run hospital in Gorakhpur.
My thoughts are with families who have lost their children: UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath
Anyone found guilty will not be spared: UP Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath
Here are the highlights of Yogi Adityanath's media address:
- Deaths due to oxygen shortage would mean a despicable incident
- Anyone found guilty will not be spared
- I had asked for encephalitis treatment training in all districts
- I request you to present the correct facts
- We have formed a committee under CS to probe role of the supplier
- If oxygen supply was interrupted then the role of the supplier needs to be probed
- It was an order of this government when it took charge that no emergency should ever be stopped
- No file should stay on any desk for more than three days
- I sent my ministers to find out:
- How many deaths? Were they really due to oxygen shortage and who was responsible
- PM is also concerned about reports coming in the media. He has assured us all central help to strengthen health facilities in UP.
- He has sent Anupriya Patel (Minister of State in the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare). She will meet two ministers who have visited the hospital today
- Our officials are also there today.
PM Modi Briefed By Yogi Adityanath On Gorakhpur Tragedy
PM Modi has been briefed by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on the deaths of 63 children, including several newborns, in the last five days at a hospital in Gorakhpur and is monitoring the situation, the government said today.
Yogi Adityanath calls meeting of UP ministers Siddharth Nath Singh, Ashutosh Tandon and MoS Health Anupriya Patel
Gorakhpur medical college principal suspended
The principal of the Baba Raghav Das Medical College has been suspended with "immediate effect", Uttar Pradesh Health Minister Siddharth Nath Singh said today.
Dr Rajiv Mishra was suspended after reports that 30 children died in the hospital in 48 hours. "Owing to laxity, the principal of BRD Medical College has been suspended with immediate effect," Singh told reporters.
Baba Raghav Das Medical College, where 60 children have died in five days, is the biggest hospital in Gorakhpur
Yogi Adityanath said he has ordered an inquiry and has promised "strict action against those found responsible." He has rushed two top ministers, including health minister Sidharth Nath Singh to Gorakhpur.
Minister of State for Health Anupriya Patel and Union Health Secretary CK Mishra are on their way to Gorakhpur.