At least 22 people were also hospitalised, among them a four-year-old child. The condition of at least seven of them is critical.
Some claim the godown was being used as a garage and several cylinders of gas used for welding were stored in the premise.
Locals at the Gopalpur area of Asansol complained of a stinging smell around 7 pm, which was later traced to the godown. The police and the fire brigade were called in immediately.
Three fire tenders arrived at the spot soon after but at least four firemen were also affected by the gas. Efforts were on till late tonight to seal the source of the gas.
Foam was being used to plug the leak.
Many locals fled the area and planned to stay away for the night.
Get Breaking news, live coverage, and Latest News from India and around the world on NDTV.com. Catch all the Live TV action on NDTV 24x7 and NDTV India. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter and Instagram for latest news and live news updates.